To be sure that federal regulators hear from a variety of experts with diverse viewpoints, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) set up the Consumer Advisory Board, the Community Bank Advisory Council, the Credit Union Advisory Council, and the Academic Research Council.
These advisory committees provide CFPB with information about emerging trends and practices in the consumer financial marketplace. They also allow CFPB to hear directly from small financial institutions.
CFPB is now accepting applications for membership in all four of our advisory committees and inviting individuals to apply to provide advice as the agency carries out its work. Here’s what they’re looking for:
- Experts in consumer protection, community development, consumer finance, fair lending, and civil rights
- Experts in consumer financial products or services, including consumer reporting, debt collections, and debt relief
- Representatives of banks and credit unions that primarily serve underserved communities
- Representatives of communities that have been significantly impacted by higher priced mortgage loans
- Current employees of credit unions and community banks
- Academics (experienced economists with a strong research and publishing or practitioner background, and a record of involvement in research and public policy, including public or academic service)
How to apply
For more information on how to apply to serve on the Consumer Advisory Board, Community Bank Advisory Council, Credit Union Advisory Council, or the Academic Research Council, you can:
- Review instructions on how to submit an application for membership
- Learn more about our Advisory Committees
- Visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
View the application . Applying online is highly encouraged. Only complete application packets received on or before May 5, 2019, will be given consideration for membership on the advisory committees.
The CFPB provides access to machine-readable application materials to members of the public that are visually impaired. Download our an application .